(2017 - Present) Visual Journalism Developer
Developer for a newly created World Service Visual Journalism team, building mobile-first interactive content for BBC News websites in the Near East region. I have been involved in pitching and building interactive features for BBC Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Pashto, Uzbek and Kyrgyz websites.
I am focused on internationalisation, page performance and RTL CSS/SVG code, tailoring the tech stack for the requirements of the project (including native ES6, d3.js and reusing internal modules built for previous BBC output).
I have also worked on data projects, using R and Python to do data scraping, manipulation and collection, including an ongoing project collecting social media stats for the BBC Persian using an AWS Lambda service.
Recent projects have included building multiple products covering the 2018 Turkish elections.Training:
- Broadcast Journalism (online writing, video production)
- Accessibility (screenreader usage and website optimisation)
- Virtualisation/Containerising (Docker)
- AWS Big Data (Hadoop, R, Tableau)
- TLS/Web Security
- BDD Principles (Gherkin and Cucumber)
(2016 - 2017) Software Developer - Front End
- Front end/d3.js developer for fintech project management platform.
- Responsible for producing visualisations and maintaining/expanding the AngularJS front end.
- Line management of the front end development team.
(2014 - 2016) Software Developer - Front End
- Front end lead for SaaS business intelligence platform, importing accounting data to produce responsive/mobile-ready dashboards using dc.js.
- As second developer hired, I saw the full lifecycle of the application from early designs through to delivery to the first beta companies.
- Created initial prototypes that were used to secure early funding.
- Developed a node.js based solution for interactive data aggregation and charting.